Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hunger

I am thinking that I do not know
the real meaning of hunger,
because I have never felt real hunger.
The kind wherein my daily food ration is one cup of rice.
Sure I have fasted for cleansing purposes,
though not for more than a day.
The brown rice cleanse
which I have done several times
has one eating nothing but brown rice
for ten days. One can eat copious amounts
of rice; in spite of which one loses weight.
Speaking of losing weight. It is one of the
greatest ironies (that or imbalances),
that people in affluent societies need to diet.
Diet is not a word in the language of
many people.
When I am hungry, I have the luxury of pretty
well anything I desire at my fingertips. When many are
hungry, they do not have what their bodies need to stay
healthy. Desire vs. need.

Yes, I am lucky that I do not know
the real meaning of hunger.

No comments: